Sunday, September 4, 2011

Summer: A Retrospective


Okay, so I'm just here shamelessly listening to Lizzie McGuire-era Hilary Duff (she reminds me of my childhood, alright?) after a two-hour long figuring-stuff-out session for the next school year, and I've been thinking to myself "Shit, man. I haven't blogged in a while." No time like the present (12:34 AM on Labor Day), so here we go.

Summer is winding down. If I had decided to return to Ashland, school would've started almost 2 weeks ago. I'm still at home, waking up whenever the hell I want to and generally being a lazy bum. By the time I'm actually in school and going to classes, working, and participating in whatever I decide to particapte in, the life I'm living now will sound like paradise. But right now, I gotta tell ya, I'm itching to get back to school. Structure is good.

I had made a previous post in April detailing my hopes and plans for the summer, which at that point, seemed like a beautiful dream just a bit out of my grasp. For this post, I'd like to go back to that post and see if I accomplished all I wanted to accomplish, as well as offer a few other details about my summer, which has been pretty dang kick-ass.

(First off, I said that I planned on getting a job. Yeah, that didn't work out so well. Let's cross our fingers for next summer!)

1. Go to concerts


I did go see Crystal Castles in August with my sister, which was so fun. They are crazy live. The whole thing was like a rave. Loud electronic beats, colorful strobe lights, and glow sticks made it feel like a huge dance party. And dance I did. I'd definitely see them again.


2. Grow my hair out

Beginning of summer...

End of summer!
I didn't cut my hair all summer! I AM VICTORIOUS!!!!

3. Exercise every day
Ha. Ahaha. Hahahahaha. Yeah... I did not do this.

4. Swim
I did do this! And swimming is exercise, right? *hopeful expression*  

5. Read
I read like 2.5 books. I fail.

6. Visit Ashland friends
I had the pleasure of seeing many of my Ashland friends this summer, and all experiences were quite fantastic.


Posing in Meredith's kitchen

First Indians game! Woot!
 
Enjoying the most foodgasmic brownies EVER, courtesy of Liz's mom


7. Catch up on music intake.
Most definitely did this! My ears are very happy.

8. Watch (500) Days of Summer.



I think I did this like the day after I got home from school.

9. Spend as much time with my niece and nephew as possible

:D
It makes my heart happy that I've got to see them both a whole bunch this summer. They're growing so fast, and I feel priviledged to get to spend time with two such cute, wonderful kids.

10. Do some soul-searching
This is an ongoing process, of course, but I fell like I've made progress this summer. I've gotten a lot of things sorted out, and I feel very happy and excited about the path I am walking on.

ALSO. Let me share a few things that made Summer '11 what it was:

Foster the People- "Pumped Up Kicks"


                                     

If I had a dollar for every time I listened to this song this summer, my students loans would be paid off. Seriously. And I'm still obsessed with it. I'm listening to it right now, in fact.

Runner-Up: "Super Bass" by Nicki Minaj

Bridesmaids

This movie was so hilarious. Melissa McCarthy made this movie, I tell ya. She's come a long way from being Lorelai Gilmore's sidekick. (Although I still see Sookie whenever I look at her).

The '90s are All-That on Teen Nick


Who woulda thunk that in 2011, I'd be able to watch Doug and Kenan & Kel? Whoever thought of this idea, I sincerely love you.

Columbus, Ohio
My future home and the capital of Ohio gave me some memorable times this summer. Whether in a good way (Crystal Castles @ Newport) or in an effing awful way (being towed and having to walk into the ghetto in order to retrieve my vehicle), or in a fashionable way (just got my first pair of Ray-Bans at Rag-O-Rama, hellz yeah!). Oh Columbus, I can't wait to be able to see more of what you have to offer. (By bus, of course, I don't trust Columbus parking any longer.)

Friends & Family
Not to be mushy, but what can I say? The best part about this summer was having awesome people to share it with.


Salutations, summer of 2011!

-tjms
5 September 2011

No comments:

Post a Comment