Friday, April 15, 2011

WHOA, dream big!

                         

I'm a dreamer. Tis true. But I'm not the only one...or, at least I hope I'm not.

We grow up learning about how imperfect the world is- the crimes, the injustices, the lack of jobs, blah blah blah. It really makes one wonder whether or not we really have a chance in this world. We're all the time told that you need to pick a job that makes a lot money because the cost of living is increasing and the job market is declining. Wow, great. I'm really glad I'm spending thousands of dollars on tuition for college when there are people with degrees working at Wal-Mart. It sometimes makes me wonder if I should go for a job like a nurse where I know I'll always be needed. But, you know what? I don't wanna do that. I wanna do something that I am passionate about.

I started off college as a psychology major, and I do love psychology and I know that psychologists will always be needed in our society no matter what. But it's not what I'm meant to do. It's just not. I'm glad I've realized this early in my college years, because I don't want to think 5 years and thousands of dollars down the line "I'm not happy doing this." Call me crazy, but dammit, I want to be happy!

What makes me happy, you ask? I don't completely know yet. I'm kinda indefinitely in that "figuring shit out" phase right now. But I know that I love music way too much to not do something related to it for a career. I've also realized this semester that I love being in front of people, giving speeches, and making people laugh. It makes my heart explode with glee every time I get a good response from a speech. Also, my love of writing has resurfaced, which is exciting. Right now, I'm just trying to figure out how to smoosh all these things together into one massive, badass career. It'll happen eventually.

My point is that, if you have a dream, chase it. No matter what statistics tell you, no matter what your professors say, no matter what, chase it. You'll thank yourself in the long run.

Trust me.

-tjms
15 April 2011
"Maybe if I really tried with all of my heart then I could make a brand new start"
<3

A Dream Deferred
by Langston Hughes

What happens to a dream deferred?
 
Does it dry up
like a raisin in the sun?
Or fester like a sore--
And then run?
Does it stink like rotten meat?
Or crust and sugar over--
like a syrupy sweet?
 
Maybe it just sags
like a heavy load.
 
Or does it explode?

3 comments:

  1. Is the title a spoof on Juno? Please tell me it is hahaha

    ReplyDelete
  2. First of all, do not stereotype. I am a fervent believer in individualism, so you can't lump everyone into any category. I also believe the purpose of education (from Latin=educare-to draw out) is not to turn you into a money making drone, but into the best person you can be.

    Try this experiment. Assemble lots of money in one place and see how much pleasure it gives you.

    Money is not a god, it's a tool.

    I have heard that dreamers are frivolous because they aren't practical. George Washington and the founding fathers of America were dreamers.

    The people who changed the world, and in most instances, made it a better place, were dreamers.

    It's the exploiters, the hard nosed pragmatists who are the parasites who benefit from the labors of dreamers like Christopher Columbus or Thomas Edison or Leonardo DaVinci and then ridicule them for not being "down to earth."

    If you do not pursue the activity you love you will never do your best because your heart will not be in it entirely.

    An analogy can be made here. If you marry or have a relatioship with someone you do not love, you are simply cheating yourself.

    You must define yourself and let no other human being have the right to do so.

    ReplyDelete